by Michael Beijer

Site Tools


Hi, I’m Michael Beijer, the creator of this site. I’m a Dutch-English technical/patent translator with over 25 years of experience.  

For translation work, please contact me via:

Mobile: +44 (0)747-5771720
Proz: My profile


Notice and take down policy

Notice: If you feel that any data on this site contains material that is owned by you and should therefore not be reproduced here, please:

  • Clearly identify yourself, with detailed contact data such as an address, telephone number or email address.
  • Clearly identify the copyrighted work claimed to be infringed.
  • Clearly identify the material that is claimed to be infringing and information reasonably sufficient to allow us to locate the material.
  • Contact Michael Beijer at the following email address:

Take down: I will comply with legitimate requests by immediately removing the affected material.
keywords: Dutch patent translator, Dutch translator, Dutch patents, Belgian patents, Belgian translator, lexicon, e-terminologist, terminologist, terminologie, octrooivertaler, octrooien, Patent translation, Translation UK, bilingual concordance, patents, M.J.W. Beijer, Beijer, CafeTran, memoQ, Trados, Déjà Vu, Atril, vertaler Nederlands-Engels, vertaler Engels, specialised terminology, Dutch to English, Dutch-English, professional translation for Dutch, translate into Dutch, Dutch English translator, technical translator, Wordbook,,,, patent applications, octrooivertaling, octrooivertalingen, juridische vertalingen, technische vertalingen, technische vertaler, octrooiopposities, technische teksten, woordenboek, woordenlijst, termenlijst, Hastings.  


Web Analytics statistics


wissel #Railway

Van Dale

  • (Brits-Engels alleen techniek) switch, points


Engelse wissel = double slip

een wissel overhalen / verzetten = turn / shift / reverse a switch

Groot Woordenboek Industrie & Techniek (GWIT)

wissel =

1. [COMP.] switch

2. [RAIL.] pair of points, points, switchpoint, switches

3. [RAIL.] (mechanisme) switching device

4. exchange, change, changeover

Wissel (spoorweg)

Een wissel is een installatie in een __spoorweg__ om een __trein____metro__ of __tram__ naar een ander spoor te leiden.[^[\[1\]]{.ul}^](

Het __woordgeslacht__ van wissel is mannelijk. Het Vlaams spoorjargon volgt dat en daar zegt men dus de wissel, maar in het Nederlands spoorjargon zegt men het wissel.

Source URL: __https:%%//

Railroad switch

railroad switch (AE), turnout, or [set ofpoints (BE) is a mechanical installation enabling __railway__ trains to be guided from one __track__ to another, such as at a __railway junction__ or where a __spur__ or __siding__ branches off.

Source URL: __https:%%//


North American: A point at which a railway track diverges; a set of points:

  • at most junctions and crossovers, the trains will be able to take > the turnout at 230 km/h
  • At least the track chart schematically showed the position of the > turnouts and the lengths of each track.
  • With so many turnouts under RU's control, considerable maintenance > could be avoided with this change.
  • There are more than 50 turnouts and, I would guess, about eight > miles of track in total.
  • The Southern Railway has always prided itself in its turnout and > kept the rack section running despite the revenue deficit.


North American: A set of points on a railway track.

  • Life-expired signalling equipment and related trackwork, switches > and crossings will be replaced.

point (usually points):

British: A junction of two railway lines, with a pair of linked tapering rails that can be moved laterally to allow a train to pass from one line to the other:the train gave a lurch as it passed over the points

wordbook/terms/wissel-railway.txt · Last modified: 2020/12/10 18:11 (external edit)